Intravenous Dental Sedation in West Auckland
If you are particularly nervous about your next visit to the dentist, Titirangi Dental offers a solution to help you. Intravenous (IV) sedation is a safe and effective treatment option that helps you to relax. Our specially trained dentists will inject a sedative directly into your veins to reduce anxiety and discomfort and help you feel relaxed.
This is ideal for patients who experience a high level of dental phobia as well as those who are preparing for a less routine dental procedure.
IV sedation is a safe and proven treatment that will be supervised by your dentist at all times. While it may be referred to as sleep dentistry, you will actually remain awake and responsive during your procedure.
How Does IV Sedation Work?
IV sedation will:
- Have a calming effect on patients
- Make you feel sleepy without falling asleep
- Make you unaware of the procedure, including the noises and vibrations that may make you feel anxious
- Allow you to respond to and understand the dentist during the procedure
- Result in some memory loss – sometimes patients don’t remember the procedure at all!
Dental Sedation – During the Procedure
During a dental procedure with IV sedation, you will:
- Have a thin tube attached to a vein in your arm and hand
- Begin to feel relaxed and sleepy as the drugs are administered
- Be constantly monitored by machines and our dental professionals
- Be given a local anaesthetic in many cases. This will be administered after the sedation so you will not be aware of it.
Before and after the Procedure
To prepare for the procedure, you may need to eat light meals and avoid alcohol the night before. On the day of your appointment, bring another adult with you who can remain with you for the rest of the day.
After your procedure:
- Recover in our recovery area (usually about 1 hour)
- Travel home with a responsible adult
- Avoid driving or operating machinery
- Do not drink alcohol
- Take the rest of the day off work